Sunday, July 21, 2013

Final days.. un semana mas

This is my last week in Honduras. Whaaaaaaat. Where did 2 months go??? This place that I have called home for the past 2 months is about to come to an end.
I can honestly say this has been such a huge learning experience for me and one of the coolest experiences. .
One thing that someone asked me last week was, 'So are you comfortable here yet?' And this is a tricky question, but I responded no; and followed by saying this. Living in a third world country has not been comfortable and I'm SO thankful for that. Back in the states I was so used to all the amenities, the conveniences, the comforts I so easily had. It's easy to live in the states. Everything is instant. I have more than enough. But here, where you don't have access to a walmart, or the power will just go out all the sudden for 6 hours, or not having AC, or having to wear the same shorts twice in a row, or not having a car, or not speaking the same language, ALL of those things that I am used to back home, I did not have here, and that is not exactly comfortable. Being out of your comfort zone is scary for many people, but what an opportunity for me to learn and fully depend on God. And what lessons I have learned through this opportunity!
Last week was a blast. The short term team here was so much fun. I enjoyed staying up and chatting with them and getting to know them a little bit. They were truly a blessing to me as well. This new team(of 27) just arrived yesterday, and  I got to play a prank on them. I had fun. Since I look like I am Honduran (I've been told this even by the locals) I decided to play the part of hired kitchen help. They told the team that I only speak Spanish. HAH. We had someone translate for me and tell them that I understand English only if you speak loudly and slowly. So I have had people talking loudly and slowly to me, or trying to use the little spanish they do know. It's SO hard for me to keep it together, I almost die laughing every time. Me and team Honduras have been having a good time with this little joke, but I feel like a mute because I cant speak back to them. And not talking is hard for me. So tonight for dinner, Mike told them that I had been practicing my English and I wanted to say something. So he called me up and I acted shy, and they all cheered for me and encouraged me to talk. (It was SOO hard to hold it together!) so then I just came out and was like,*clears throat*  Hey y'all, I'm from Tennessee.. I've been pullin your leg the whole time. And they paused, looked around and then all started laughing. I am glad they weren't upset at the little prank. They thought it was funny, and we all had a good time about it. All fun and games.. But this team is quite the eating team.I've got my work cut out for me. But it also makes me feel good about what I cook because they eat it all and get seconds and thirds. This is quite the stretch for the last week, but that means more learning opportunities! I'm very excited for this week.
As my time comes to an end, I am so thankful for the new friendships I have made. The other interns here have been so much fun and been so encouraging to me. I have many emotions that come along with this week. Excited. Anxious. Sad. Eager. This season in Hondruas has been so so enjoyable. I am soaking in my last week here.
Continue to pray that this last week I have energy..
Thank you for your prayers! I am excited to see you all when I get back.
No pictures yet. I'll post them later gator.

No comments:

Post a Comment